Welcome to the Shute Memorial Library!
In 1891, William Shute left a bequest to Everett of $10,000 to procure land and erect a library building in memory of his mother, Tabitha Shute. Mr. Shute’s will stipulated that the library should be located in the Glendale section of Everett on Broadway or upon land located on the northerly side of Broadway.
Land was purchased in 1895 from Edward W. Saunders, and the Shute Memorial Library stands on the location at 781 Broadway. William S. Lougee, a local resident was the architect, and the building which was designed in Richardson Romanesque style of red brick with sandstone trim, was opened to the public in 1899.
In 1936, a Children’s Room was opened on the lower level and an addition was constructed on the south side of the building in the mid 1960’s.